Friday, September 25, 2009

What Goes Bump in the Night?


Zoey, 7 lbs of Shih Tzu
2:50 A.M.   Zoey, our giant guard dog, alerts us... love to hear barking at 3:00 A.M.
2:51 A.M.   A bump in the night...right outside our bedroom window.
2:52 A.M.   Kurt goes out to check it out... I just get up and yell out the window!  (Why dance around the problem when you can meet it head on, right)
2:53 A.M.   Kurt returns from the bathroom (he never made it outside) when he hears me yelling out the window ("Hey! What the heck are you doing out there?!")
2:54 A.M.   Kurt calls the police to come pick up our little visitor and take her to the pokie.
3:00 A.M.   I'm still trying to make conversation with a very inebriated young woman... trying to keep her in our yard so she can be helped by the police and taken back home.  The police pull up moments later.  She doesn't even notice the light shining right behind her until he speaks to her and asks her what she is doing. "I'm just visiting my friend here. Uh, m'am what was your name?"
3:20 A.M.   Still watching the drama unfold in our front yard and wanting to smack the kid that lives behind us... pretty sure he has her shoes.
5:00 A.M.   Still awake!!!!!!
9:15 A.M.   I wake up and have missed my walking partners again.  Aargh!

This really was not a frightening experience but more sad than anything else.  What was frightening was how young she was and that she was only wearing a couple of tank tops and had lost her shoes.  I laid awake asking myself how do I make sure my own kids NEVER end up in this same situation.  I truly felt so sorry for her.  She had stumbled into our yard because she was afraid of the people she had been partying with.  What a sad state of affairs!

3 comments:

  1. What?! I moved to Utah so these sorts of things didn't happen! :0) Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ok that you missed us, we missed you too and you had every right to TRY and sleep. FYI, we are starting to move it into the mall when it's too cold, like today.

    ReplyDelete